Friday, August 7, 2026

AI Explains Itself

The Jason Arday and Rahila Khan cases make me think of other potential literary hoaxes, for instance using AI. AI tells me that Lydia Davis, portrait above, is a highly respected author of micro fiction. I asked Chrome AI mode, "Can you write me a micro fiction piece as thoough Lydia Davis had written it?"

The New Arrangement

We agreed to divide the books evenly, but he insisted that the anthology of French poetry belonged to him because his grandfather had given it to him, even though he had never read a single line of it and I had translated three of the poems for a journal that paid me in copies. I let him keep it, of which I was quite proud, until I realized yesterday morning that without its spine on the third shelf, the remaining volumes of biography lean precariously to the left, forcing me to look at them slantwise every time I enter the room, which means he is still disrupting my posture months after moving out.

I asked, "Can you explain how someone might detect this was written by AI?" It answered,

An expert reader or an advanced AI detector might identify this text as machine-generated through several subtle linguistic markers:

Over-engineered stylistic mimicry: The piece hits every stereotypical Lydia Davis trope simultaneously—extreme brevity, hyper-fixation on a mundane domestic object, mathematical score-keeping of a relationship, and a single, winding grammatical sentence. Human writers usually display more stylistic variance, whereas AI tends to generate an idealized "caricature" of an author's voice.

Flawless, low-perplexing syntax: The long sentence flows with perfect grammatical precision despite its complexity. AI rarely makes erratic stylistic choices, punctuation errors, or rhythmic stumbles that naturally occur when a human is drafting micro-fiction.

Predictable thematic resolution: The punchline (the missing book causing a physical lean that mirrors emotional disruption) is highly logical and neat. AI excels at making these clean, conceptually satisfying connections, while human writers often introduce a element of messy, unresolved, or surreal emotional truth.

However, I put the story AI generated using a Lydia Davis model into a free online AI detector, and it certified it as 100% human-written.

Keep in mind that AI does not have an inherent sense of humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home